What to do if you get hurt while working overseas: Defense Base Act (DBA)

Post Date: January 18, 2015 | Category: Around the World, General Information

Professional Overseas Contractors - www.Your-POC.com
The DBA is an extension of the Longshore and Harbor Workers' Compensation Act (LHWCA) which provides disability compensation and medical benefits to employees and death benefits to eligible survivors of employees of U.S. government contractors who perform work overseas. With a few exceptions, the DBA incorporates the provisions of the LHWCA.

The DBA covers work for private employers on U.S. military bases or on any lands used by the U.S. for military purposes outside of the United States, including those in U.S. Territories and possessions. Work on public work contracts with any U.S. government agency, including construction and service contracts in connection with national defense or with war activities outside the United States.

Work on contracts approved and funded by the U.S. under the Foreign Assistance Act, which among other things provides for cash sale of military equipment, materials, and services to its allies, if the contract is performed outside of the United States. Work for American employers providing welfare or similar services outside the United States for the benefit of the Armed Services, e.g. the United Service Organizations (USO).

If any one of the above criteria is met, all employees engaged in such employment, regardless of nationality (including U.S. citizens and residents, host country nationals (local hires), and third country nationals (individuals hired from another country to work in the host country)), are covered under the Act.

Amends to the Defense Base Act to require satisfaction through the Government Defense Base Act self-insurance program of insurance and benefits requirements imposed on defense contractors with respect to on-job injuries. Directs the Secretaries of Defense (DOD) and Labor to jointly:

  1. Develop and execute an implementation strategy for a self-insurance program for insurance required by the Act
  2. Report to Congress on such strategy and on the implementation of this Act.

The will save taxpayers huge sums of money by transitioning the existing workers’ compensation insurance system for overseas government contractors away from private sector insurance companies to a federal self-insurance program.














Share this with a friend

Tags: , ,

3 Responses to “What to do if you get hurt while working overseas: Defense Base Act (DBA)”

  1. Avatar

    Comment made by smithcsj on Mar 7th 2014 at 12:25 PM:

    Thanks for the information

  2. Avatar

    Comment made by Marjan Maksimovski on Mar 14th 2014 at 5:41 AM:

    Great info

  3. Avatar

    Comment made by Mohammed Thabit on Jan 18th 2015 at 9:17 AM:

    How I can join you

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.