Working on the Island of Kwajalein Atoll in the Republic of the Marshall Islands
U.S. Army Kwajalein Atoll/Kwajalein Missile Range (USAKA/KMR) is a remote (located in the Republic of the Marshall Islands), secure activity of the Major Range and Test Facility Base as constituted by DoD.
Kwajalein is one of the world's largest coral atolls as measured by area of enclosed water. Comprising 97 islands and islets, it has a land area of 6.33 mi, and surrounds one of the largest lagoons in the world, with an area of 839 mi. The average height above sea level for all the islands is about 5 ft 11 in.
Its function is to support test and evaluation of major Army and DoD missile systems, Army Space surveillance and object identification, and National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) scientific and space programs. Programs supported include Army missile defense, Ballistic Missile Defense Organization (BMDO) demonstration/validation tests, Air Force Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) development and operational tests, U.S. Space Surveillance Network, and NASA Space Transportation System.
In early 1944, American forces captured the atoll from the Japanese in the Battle of Kwajalein. In the years following, Kwajalein Atoll was converted into a staging area for further campaigns in the advance on the Japanese homeland in the Pacific War. Postwar, the United States used it as a main command center and preparation base in 1946 for Operation Crossroads, the first of several series of nuclear tests (comprising a total of 67 blasts) at the Marshall island atolls of Bikini and Enewetak.
Eleven of the 97 islands are leased by the United States and are part of the Ronald Reagan Ballistic Missile Defense Test Site (RTS), formerly known as Kwajalein Missile Range. RTS includes radar installations, optics, telemetry, and communications equipment, which are used for ballistic missile and missile-interceptor testing and space operations support. Kwajalein has one of five ground stations used in controlling the range that assist in the operation of the Global Positioning System (GPS) navigational system.
There are a variety of housing arrangements for families, couples, and unaccompanied personnel. Your housing assignment will be based on a number of factors, including the status of your contract (accompanied or unaccompanied), number of pre-approved dependent family members, and the availability of living quarters. Accompanied or family quarters are similar to stateside homes. Singles quarters are studio style dwellings, all of which contain fully furnished rooms approximately 400 square feet in area, small kitchenettes, private bathrooms, central air conditioning and access to free laundry facilities.
Recreational opportunities at Kwajalein are plentiful. There are pastimes and hobbies to suit almost everyone. You may find yourself getting involved in recreational activities you might never have considered.
- Play organized sports such as basketball, softball, volleyball, soccer, and inner-tube water polo.
- Shoot a round of golf at the Holmberg Fairways Golf Course & Country Club. The course provides nine holes with 18 tees, 2,945 yard par 36, club and locker rental, themed tournaments, driving range, practice putting green, and an air-conditioned bar.
- Bowl a game at the bowling center and/or compete in a league.
- Compete in a tournament or play a recreational game of tennis at the outdoor tennis court.
- Hit the ramps at the skate park.
- Enjoy free membership to the Ivey Gym Fitness Center available 24 hours a day.
- Enjoy exploring uninhabited tropical islands, sport fishing for Mahi Mahi, Tuna, Wahoo, Marlin and Sailfish, scuba diving, water skiing or sailing. The Small Boat Marina rents marine vessels for a nominal fee. Power boats and a boat for water skiing are available. Sailboats such as; Cal 20s, Hobie Cats and Lasers are also available. Kayaks are available for rent for a nominal fee as well. (A Kwajalein/Roi-Namur boat license is required to operate larger boats Boating licensing classes are available for a nominal registration fee.)
- Join an outrigger canoe team, the surfing club or kite board and windsurf near the perimeter of the island.
- Explore uninhabited tropical islands and historical sites.
- Take advantage of swimming opportunities at one of Kwajalein’s two saltwater swimming pools or beautiful beaches.
- Visit local sea life while reefing, snorkeling in the beautiful tide pools and diving in the ocean surrounding the island.
- Hang out at the recreation center. The Adult Recreation Center is available to ages 19 and older. Activities available include pool, air hockey, ping pong tables, video games, shuffleboard, music room, TV room, weekly movies and Wii computer games. A conference room, computer access, kitchen and BBQ area are also available.
- See a movie at one of the two theaters. The Richardson theater is an outdoor theater with free family oriented movies every weekend. The Yuk Theater is an A-frame theater featuring free PG13, and R rated movies every weekend.
- Engage in a hobby. The hobby shop provides both woodworking opportunities as well as resources for ceramics and pottery enthusiasts.
- Catch up on your reading at the Grace Sherwood Library.
172191 total views, 122 today
167 Responses to “Working on the Island of Kwajalein Atoll in the Republic of the Marshall Islands”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.